Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Great Expectations, That's the one with Pip right?

So as some may know, I tend to have very big ideas but fall short on the follow through. Due to the vast resources of the internet that we all wade through, I occasionally come across items or projects that I figure "I can make that."

For about a year, one of my idealized projects was to make an electric violin. After months of procrastination interspersed with research, I've taken one step forward toward this goal. That first step was making this:


Simply put, this is an acoustic pickup for my guitar or any vibrating instrument. Specifically, it's a piezo element wired to a 1/4" TRS jack. The piezo element has crystals between two metal plates and when the plates vibrate causes the crystals to produce an electrical signal. The black wire from the piezo is soldered to the Sleeve(ground) connector and the red wire is soldered to the Tip connector. There weren't specific directions about wiring and as a result yesterday this did not work. After a bit more plodding through the internet I found I soldered the black wire to the Ring connector rather than the Sleeve(ground). NOW IT WORKS! I'll try to put some audio up at a later time.

Also during the construction phase I had to make a wire with 1/4" plugs to attach the pickup to an amp. So I grabbed scrap wires from around the office and ended up with this little 3 foot guy.



Now after this whole process, I know for sure that the "electric" part of my electric violin plan will work. My next step is to acquire any sort of wood working tools I can get my hands on, buy a few specific violin parts and get some nice hardwood. If anyone would like to donate planers, chisels or power tools Please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment