Friday, March 26, 2010

4/4 Violin Project Begun

The 4/4 refers to a full size violin. Violins are made in multiple sizes for children as their arms get longer. 3/4 is the next size down, then 1/2 and 1/4. I think I heard the sizes go as far as 1/16 or 1/32 but a 1/32 is not actually one-thirty-second the size it's just smaller.

So I've finally gathered up all of the important parts and pieces and tools that I should need to make my violin. (Except wood glue and strings but those aren't important yet) And here they are:

Top Left- The fitted bridge
Top Right- Tail piece and connector
Left- Chin rest
Bottom- Ebony fingerboard


These are the open gear tuners.


Here's a close up of the gorgeous bloodwood I'll be making this out of. (It's ridiculously heavy for a single piece of wood) Also this 7-foot-long, 4-inch-wide piece cost $27.38 and was only 2.115 boardfeet. I never want to make a table out of exotic hardwood, it'd cost a fortune.


And last are the rough sketches I made of the side view and top down view. I'll be making another set of these that are "finalized" to trace onto the bloodwood for the first roughcut.


I'm planning on cutting three pieces of the Side view and then laminating(wood glueing) them together. Then measuring things out and making the rough cut for the top down view. After that point it should all be planing, filing, drilling and sanding. Let's see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment